Saturday, October 18, 2008

Evansville Invitational--10/18/08




Well today was a good day that could have been better had it not been for my hardheadedness! I ran a decent PR race that could have been a great PR race! Since Wednesday nights workout I've had a sore hamstring, and instead of being smart and going to the trainers I kept it to myself and fought the pain today. The start of the race was great...I went through mile one at 4:52 and felt fine through mile two and was a little under ten minutes there. Then the hills started to take affect on my hamstring and by mile three I was hurting bad, but I pushed it out of my head. I tried to stay with two guys from my team who were right in front of me and I did until the last mile when they started to pull away from me! By this point I was in incredible pain, but still I pushed on...the only thing on my mind was PR and earning my spot for conference. When we hit 1/4 mile to go the guys pulled away from me! I reached as deep as I could for a kick, but I just couldn't get on going! I finished 66 out of 239 runners with a season best of 26:16! But at the end I was irate. I was exhausted, but not from how hard I ran; I was exhausted from fighting the pain the whole race and I knew I could have run so much better had I been 100%! But lesson learned...I now know not to ignore an injury in college cause it's a whole different game from high school! My sights are now set on Conference in two weeks at SEMO (South East Missouri State)and hope to go under the twenty six minute barrier! My leg should heal by then, provided I play it smart and take care of myself!

Run to Win, Run for Him
Matthew 5: 16
Isaiah 40: 30-31

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Don't mess with hamstring injuries, I've been fighting one since March and I'm still not 100%. Take advantage of the trainers, the PT and anything else you've got to help you and get yourself healed up!

Good job today. I was super impressed when I saw your time in the results and I'm even more impressed now that I know that you ran that time with an injury.

Good luck on your recovery and at Conference.